Monday, August 6, 2012

No one is Perfect

I was having a dicussion the other night with one of my good friends from college. She happened to be in the area so we went out for drinks. Ironically at the same bar/ club that I went to back in June with my friend C. So anyway I was talking to her about a lot of things. Trying to catch up mostly.
But we got on the interesting topic of EMOTIONAL BAGGAGE.


No one is perfect. Everybody has a past. Everyone has baggage. People deal with it differently. Take for example me. You could say I have "daddy issues." My father pretty much had me replaced when he remarried. His new wife brought a 2 year old daughter into the relationship from a previous marriage. He has since relinquished any personal responsibility he left towards me when I was about 17 years old. Do I wish things were different? Yes. Do I wish I had a relationship with my father? Yes. But I don't dwell on it. It is what it is. And I am adamant about finding a guy one day, who will never put my future kids in the situation I am in with my father.  So there it is.

But I'm not the only one with problems. I know tons of people who have it worse, or in fact have it better but believe they have it worse. For instance: Loving and supportive family. Parents are still together and love each other. Siblings all get along. But he feels he was pushed to hard to succeed. Made to take private lessons, take on loads of school work, do and participate in any and all extra curriculars that it might take to get into an Ivy League school such as Harvard, or Princeton. He never wanted to disappoint anyone. Especially his parents. And while I look at the situation and say I wish my dad cared half as much about me as both his parents care about him, he would disagree.

So I guess everyone wants what they don't have. People that don't have fathers want one. People with over protective parents want less protective ones... and the list goes on. I've fought with this for a long time, but I honestly believe that parents (and not all parents, but the majority) do the best they can. There is no manual. No "This is how to raise the perfect child who won't be screwed up in the head". Sometimes I don't think parents get enough credit. Children require a lot. A lot of time, energy, sacrafices. Things I won't be able to fully understand until I have kids of my own. And I hope that when that time comes they realize I did the best I could for them.

As always its been a pleasure.
xo

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment